Smith

CB and Q Depot in Brunswick Nebraska, 1969

History of Antelope County, Nebraska

Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Lands In 1860, the United States made land grants to the U. P. R. R. and the B. & M. R. R., giving them every odd-numbered section within twenty miles each way from the central lines of their respective roads when located. It came to pass after the lines were located that in certain places, especially at the junction of the two roads, near Old Fort Kearney, north of the B. & M. And south of the U. P., these two belts overlapped each other. It then became a question as to whose lands these …

History of Antelope County, Nebraska Read More »

Antelope County, Nebraska Organization

In the year 1871, the State Legislature passed a law bounding Antelope County as follows: “Commencing at the southwest corner of Township 23 north, of Range 8 west; thence east to the southeast corner of Township 23 north, of Range 5 west; thence north to the northeast corner of Township 28 north, of Range 5 west; thence west to the northwest corner of Township 28 north, of Range 8 west; thence south to the place of beginning.” These boundaries have not been changed. At the time of the passage of the above act, Hon. Leander Gerrard was a member of …

Antelope County, Nebraska Organization Read More »

Levi Briggs and Lilly Marte were married in Frenchtown, Nebraska on July 2, 1886

History of the Towns in Antelope County Nebraska

Burnett The town of Burnett is located on the line between Antelope and Madison Counties. The most of the town and the railroad station are in Antelope. The town was named in honor of Mr. Burnett, first Superintendent of the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad. A. M. Burnham was the first settler, and opened the first store in March 1880. F. Dilts came here in October 1880, and William Childers, V. B. Lewis and James Childers in 1881. April 1, 1882, Burnett contained forty inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated in the Elkhorn Valley, a short distance south of the river, …

History of the Towns in Antelope County Nebraska Read More »

Field in Boone County Nebraska

Location and Geology of Boone County, Nebraska

Location, Natural Features, Etc. Boone County is in the fifth tier west of the Missouri and the third north of the Platte. Its boundaries, as defined by statute, are as follows: “Commencing at the southwest corner of Township 18 north, of Range 8 west; thence east along the northern boundary of the Pawnee Reservation to a point where the dividing line between Ranges 4 and 5 intersects the same; thence north to the northeast corner of Township 22 north, of Range 5 west; thence west to the northwest corner of Township 22 north, of Range 8 west, thence south to …

Location and Geology of Boone County, Nebraska Read More »

Original Boone County Courthouse

Organization of Boone County, Nebraska

The early settlers of Boone County had not lived in the county long before they became anxious to get the machinery of law and order into operation, and the act of the Legislature providing for the organization of Boone County was speedily taken advantage of. July 28, 1871, is the date of the first sign of corporate existence, for on that day John Hammond, Harvey Maricle and S. P. Bollman were sworn in as Commissioners by I. N. Taylor, Judge of Probate for Platte County. On the 26th day of August following, they met at Harvey Maricle‘s house and decided …

Organization of Boone County, Nebraska Read More »

Fourth Street, Albion, Nebraska

History of Albion Nebraska

The early history of Albion and the county are closely connected. As has been shown, the first settlements in the county were made on the town site, and since that time it has continued to be the center of trade. It was platted October 9, 1872; by Loran Clark and surveyed by George W. Newberry. The land platted was located on the northwest quarter of Section 22, Township 20 north, of Range 6 west. July 6, 1877, Mansfield‘s Addition was recorded, and, on the 5th of December, of the same year, Clark‘s Addition was made. In 1879, Clark, Connelly & …

History of Albion Nebraska Read More »

1887 Nebraska Map from Harper’s Common Geography

Boone County, Nebraska Biographies

Biographies can provide some interesting information of the person you are searching for, use it with care, sometimes it is not accurate. Andrews, F. P. Armstrong, James S. Berry, Joel Boardman, Manly B. Bollman, Samuel P. Bothwell, D. F. Bronson, H. M. Brown, George E. Brown, George W. Hon. Clark, Loran Sr. Clark, Luther Cressman, A. A. Rev. Daniels, Will B. Deffenderfer, C. F. Dwyer, Edward Guillemot, E. A. Dr. Hamilton, John D. Hamilton, Joseph Hon. Hardy, Robert Capt. Hungate, J. A. Rev. Lewis, D. A. M. D. Mackay, John G. Martin, Thompson F. Mears, W. A. Nelson, W. J. …

Boone County, Nebraska Biographies Read More »

1890s Sod House in Southern Boone County

Early History of Boone County, Nebraska

“About five years and three months ago,” said the Rev. Mr. Bollman, in his Centennial sketch, “in the spring of 1871, the first white men visited Boone County with a view to permanent residence. Previous to this time, no white man, except Government Surveyors, adventurers, explorers, or daring trappers had ever trod the flowery landscape of these delightful valleys, or paused in admiration on our extensive table-lands, at the almost boundless prospect. In all these beautiful regions, the various bands of roving Indians and the native wild animals were the only occupants, and the only sounds were the notes of …

Early History of Boone County, Nebraska Read More »

First National Bank, Cedar Rapids, Nebraska

History of Cedar Rapids Nebraska

This little village on the Cedar, southwest from Albion, some eleven miles, was platted in 1879. A somewhat extended account has already been given of Adam Smith‘s negotiations with the county, the result of which was the ceding of a vast tract of land to him by the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad. All that is further necessary to remark is that Cedar Rapids is the spot where Mr. Smith began his improvements, which have been continued by his son, Pierson Smith. There are now about fifty inhabitants in the town and several stores, besides a school and post office. …

History of Cedar Rapids Nebraska Read More »

1885 Map of St. Edwards, Nebraska

History of St. Edwards, Nebraska

This enterprising village was first laid out and recorded in 1871 by the Cedar Rapids Land and Emigration Company. Settlement had been made before this in the vicinity. As has already been stated, Ed Dwyer, after leaving the early settlers of Albion in their cabin, went down the Beaver Valley to the Indian Reservation. He soon came back, bringing with him A. W. Dyer and a Mr. Graves, who did not remain long. Dwyer took his claim about a mile north of town and Dyer about five miles north of him, at what was known as Boone Post Office. This …

History of St. Edwards, Nebraska Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top