Palmer

Antelope County, Nebraska Organization

In the year 1871, the State Legislature passed a law bounding Antelope County as follows: “Commencing at the southwest corner of Township 23 north, of Range 8 west; thence east to the southeast corner of Township 23 north, of Range 5 west; thence north to the northeast corner of Township 28 north, of Range 5 west; thence west to the northwest corner of Township 28 north, of Range 8 west; thence south to the place of beginning.” These boundaries have not been changed. At the time of the passage of the above act, Hon. Leander Gerrard was a member of …

Antelope County, Nebraska Organization Read More »

Antelope County, Nebraska Early Settlements

The first pre-emption claim made in Antelope County was by George St. Clair, commonly known as “Ponca George,” a man of Canadian French descent. His claim was No. 941, in the Dakota Land District. The date of settlement was April 25, 1868. On June 30, he entered his claim, which was in St. Clair Valley, one of the finest valleys in the county. St. Clair went West in the same year. Josiah McKirahan, from Belmont County, Ohio, pre-empted Claim No. 957. The date of his settlement was November 2, 1868. He “proved up” on his claim November 28, 1868, and …

Antelope County, Nebraska Early Settlements Read More »

Fourth Street, Albion, Nebraska

History of Albion Nebraska

The early history of Albion and the county are closely connected. As has been shown, the first settlements in the county were made on the town site, and since that time it has continued to be the center of trade. It was platted October 9, 1872; by Loran Clark and surveyed by George W. Newberry. The land platted was located on the northwest quarter of Section 22, Township 20 north, of Range 6 west. July 6, 1877, Mansfield‘s Addition was recorded, and, on the 5th of December, of the same year, Clark‘s Addition was made. In 1879, Clark, Connelly & …

History of Albion Nebraska Read More »

Methodist Church in Oakdale Nebraska as it appears today

History of Oakdale Nebraska

This flourishing town is situated in the southeast part of the county, on the south bank of Cedar Creek, about one mile west of its confluence with the Elkhorn, at an elevation of about 1,600 feet above the level of the sea. It was named “Oakdale” from the fact of its existence of considerable quantities of oak timber, on Cedar Creek, above its location, at the time of the first visits of the early pioneers. The town site was laid out by I. N. Taylor in 1872. The first settler here was B. C. Palmer, from Illinois, who came in …

History of Oakdale Nebraska Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top