Eldridge

CB and Q Depot in Brunswick Nebraska, 1969

History of Antelope County, Nebraska

Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Lands In 1860, the United States made land grants to the U. P. R. R. and the B. & M. R. R., giving them every odd-numbered section within twenty miles each way from the central lines of their respective roads when located. It came to pass after the lines were located that in certain places, especially at the junction of the two roads, near Old Fort Kearney, north of the B. & M. And south of the U. P., these two belts overlapped each other. It then became a question as to whose lands these …

History of Antelope County, Nebraska Read More »

Neligh Mill

History of Neligh Nebraska

The town of Neligh is situated on the north bank of the Elkhorn River, on a small plateau or tableland, from which there are slight descents to the east and west, and considerably more descent to the south. To the north as a background are the hills, which limit the Elkhorn Valley, rising to a height of fifty or sixty feet. The land of which the town site of Neligh forms part, was originally granted to Nebraska by the United States Government. Subsequently, the Omaha & Northwestern Railroad Company received it as a portion of its grant of 50,000 acres …

History of Neligh Nebraska Read More »

Antelope County, Nebraska Organization

In the year 1871, the State Legislature passed a law bounding Antelope County as follows: “Commencing at the southwest corner of Township 23 north, of Range 8 west; thence east to the southeast corner of Township 23 north, of Range 5 west; thence north to the northeast corner of Township 28 north, of Range 5 west; thence west to the northwest corner of Township 28 north, of Range 8 west; thence south to the place of beginning.” These boundaries have not been changed. At the time of the passage of the above act, Hon. Leander Gerrard was a member of …

Antelope County, Nebraska Organization Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top